Fotis Koutsothodoros was born in Lamia and he graduated from the Municipal Conservatory of the city in the guitar class of D. Kontogiannis 1992. He continued his studies in the master departments of the Athens Conservatory near to Professor Costas Kotsiolis where he graduated in 1995. From 1997 to 2000 he has been studing at Concervatorio Superior of Madrid and Concervatorio Superior of Cordoba in Spain close to M. Jimenez and M. Barbera respectively and the Academy “Robert Schumann” of Düsseldorf in Germany near the guitarist Joaquin Clerch.
He is a graduate with Bakkalaureat and Magister Diplom of the University “Mozarteum” of Salzburg , Austria near M. Seidel ( guitar) and J. Huebsher (sector of old music ) while distracting , upon the recommendation of the university, the award for the best graduate of the year (Wurdigungpreis) from the Ministry of Arts and Sciences of Austria. It was the first time that, this distinction was given to a guitarist of this educational institution. He has also attended courses close to S. Fontaneli ( Conductor Contemporary Orchestra Mozarteum), L. Brower, E. Fisk and M. Barrueco.
Even from his earliest musical steps, he took part in several national and international competitions earning distinctions such as:
- 1st Prize at the International Guitar Festival of Volos (1993 )
- 3rd Prize at the International Competition “A. Segovia “, Linares ( Spain 1997)
- 2nd Prize at the International Competition “Paco Santiago Marin”, Granada (Spain 1999)
- 2nd Prize at the International Competition “Alhambra”, Alkoy ( Spain 2000)
- 1st Prize at the International Competition “Sinaia” ( Romania 2001)
- 1st Prize at the Guitar ” Archanes ” ( Crete 2001)
- 1st Prize in the International Competition “Walkersheim” ( Germany 2001)
- Awarded “J. Rodrigo ” International Competition ” Michelle Pittaluga “, Allesandria ( Italy 2001)
- 3rd Prize at the International Competition “A. Segovia “, Herradura (Spain 2002)
- 1st Prize at the International Competition “Forum Gitarre”, Vienna & Special Prize for the best interpretation of the works of J. Rodrigo ( Austria 2002)
- 2nd Prize at “Leo Brower”, La Habana (Cuba 2004)
His achievements and his collaborations in chamber music, offered him an intense concert activity, as he has given concerts in Greece and abroad, and has been involved in the first Panhellenic execution of projects “Madrigal” and “Concierto Andaluz” of Joaquin Rodrigo with the Athens State Orchestra. In 2002 he participated in the educational production of Thessaloniki Concert Hall Organisation “The History of the Guitar ” and in 2006 was invited by the university “Bogazizi” at Istanbul in order to give a concert dedicated to the Greek-Turkish friendship, collaborating with the Duo “Terci-Korad”.
He has taught and given recitals at festivals such as:
- Guitar Festival of Volos
- Guitar Festival Naxos
- Circle of the Guitar at Athens Concert Hall
- Small Festival Of Agios Stefanos
- Veria Guitar Festival
- Guitar Festival of Patras
and International Symposiums abroad as Iserlohn, Esterghom, Tijuana, Bratislava, Mikulov, Il de Re, Pomferada, Vienna, Laufen, Gran Canaria. He has represented Greece at the 1st Guitar Southeastern Europe sponsored by the “Bilkent” university.
He has recorded two CD”s including pieces by V.Asencio, M, Llobet, R. Gerard, E. Pujol, A. Jose and the pieces for violin and guitar by N. Pagani (including the trio for guitar violin and cello) on period instruments. His educational activity except from long-term collaboration with musical institutions of Thessaloniki, Lamia and Kavala, also includes teaching at events concerning the guitar and chamber music while many of his students have been awarded repeatedly in important competitions.
An important part of his activities is the performing of the guitar repertoire on baroque and classical-romantic period instruments with special emphasis on the works of early romance.
Since 2014 he is the founder and the artistic director of the International Guitar Festival of Thessaloniki.